Tuesday, February 26, 2008

untiled

February is the most depressing month of the year. Especially in Indiana. It is cold and gray. The only snow that manages to hang on as the temperature hovers near freezing is hiding in shady places and enormous piles in Walmart parking lots. Which leaves just soggy ground and brown grass. The wind is relentless and seems to have teeth when it manages to find a chink in the armor of coats and gloves and knit hats and hits bare skin. You can see it in peoples faces - wore down by the plodding winter progress, a blank resignation reflected in their eyes. An old man steels himself for the bracing wind near the automatic doors at the entrance to the grocery store: wraps his scarf around his neck and stuffs his hands into gloves. He grips the handlebar of his shopping cart and slowly pushes it out onto the wet asphalt.

1 comment:

The Executioner said...

I once drove from New Hampshire to Indiana overnight with two other crazy individuals, and then back again about 36 hours later. If my memory serves, I believe our destination was around Angola in the northeast corner of the state. My friend tried to sell us on the trip as a great adventure, but I know he really just wanted someone to help him drive out there and back in one weekend so that he could shack up with his fiancee (they were living apart at the time while she finished school or something). Plus, our arms didn't require much twisting...we were up for a crazy road trip. This was back when Mambo Number Five was popular on the radio, because I remember dancing to that song with the locals at one of the area watering holes. That was in November, and it was pretty grey then too. I used to feel trapped by winter in New England, but then I started doing crazy stuff like playing ultimate frisbee in the snow on the weekends. A good pair of snowshoes is also a solid investment. Winter isn't so bad if you can get outdoors and do a little taunting of the weather, similar to the way Lieutenant Dan taunted the storm from high atop the mast of Forrest Gump's shrimp boat. Plus, Spring isn't that far off...